[ubuntu-uk] (no subject)

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jun 4 10:37:15 BST 2007

Hi Liam,

Welcome!

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 08:49:08AM +0000, liam jackson wrote:
> Hi
>  I have asked several people this question, but do not get any replies,
>  I have just installed ubuntu onto my pc at home, but as I am not on line i have to use a library pc for any downloading at present, (i on the sick and cannot afford it at present). i want to install a different media player, but just can't seem to do it,
>  1st, do i have to be online to load programes?

This is indeed a problem, but not a totally impossible one to work around.

There are a couple of tutorials online which are designed for debian based
systems such as ubuntu.

http://beans.seartipy.com/2006/05/06/update-or-install-applications-on-debianubuntu-without-an-internet-connection/
http://beans.seartipy.com/2006/11/03/simple-way-to-update-ubuntu-edgy-with-slowno-internet-connection/

You could use this method to generate a script which you put on a usb key
or print out and take to the library.

There is a slight flaw with those options. They assume you are using linux
on the internet connected computer (in your case the library). This is
unlikely to be the case, and as such you would need to look at the file
generated (on your usb key) and manually grab the individual files onto the
key.

Messy but your options are limited.

Cheers,
Al.