[ubuntu-uk] two versions of ubuntu. Can I fix one with the other?

Farran Lee fazzy.baboon at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 1 14:11:00 BST 2007

hi everyone
this is something I put on the ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=460168   Just thought I could
post it here aswell...

hi people
I recently upgraded from 6.10 to 7.06. Upgrade seemed to run smoothly.
However, when I rebooted, I had the Busybox error - one that most of you
have probably come across at some point, as I discovered while scanning
the forums. The error was something like:
Code:
can't access tty: job control turned off.
initramfs>
sorry - may not be accurate, but it's something like that.
Because of other problems before, I have a second installation of ubuntu
on the same box, still v.6.10. I had heard that there was possibly a bug
in the new kernel released with 7.06, so I thought, boot into the 6.10,
chroot into the right partition, and do an update to fix the kernel if a
new one has been released. But it doesn't work. No updates are available
at all. Maybe there hasn't been a new kernel released yet, or maybe the
kernel isn't even the issue I need to fix.
On the 7.06, I cannot boot into recovery or any other previous kernel.
Some people have recommended adding different commands to the end of the
boot sequence, but none of them work for my pc.
If anyone can help, I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks
fazza