[ubuntu-uk] Why not fix this?

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Tue Jul 31 13:32:09 BST 2007

** Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com> [2007-07-31 13:28]:
> > Chris Rowson wrote:
> > > Makes you wonder why there isn't a "works with Ubuntu" program for
> > > hardware manufacturers to  sign up to...
> >
> > http://www.ubuntu.com/partners/hardwareprogramme
> >
> > like that one? :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Chris Jones
>
> Erm yeah, like that one ;-)
>
> One thing though - I don't know if I'm reading it wrong or not, but
> this looks like it covers full systems (laptops, servers, desktops et
> al) rather than system components. I toyed with the idea of a website
> which lists specific items which are known compatible with links to
> retailers.
** end quote [Chris Rowson]

Likewise, and many others have and some have tried it. The problem is
that there are so many differnt makes and models of so many different
hardware items that you generally find that anything that makes it to
the list has been discontinued or modified and is only of use when
considering second user items. Without vendor support this just isn't
going to work properly. I'll not even start on items that change
chipsets between revisions, including changes that aren't merely the
newer chipset version, but completely different manufacturers chipsets.