[ubuntu-uk] Why not fix this?

stephen stevepdrake at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:19:14 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 06:29 +0100, Mac wrote:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> <snip>
> > picking a card is far from easy - you can't easily quote a manufacturer
> > of card or chipset that is a safe bet.
>
> I'm glad it's not just me who has difficulty with identifying the
> chipsets in wireless cards.  I've read every detail in the specs of
> dozens of PCMCIA cards in online stores, and I don't think I've found a
> single one that actually tells you what the chipset is.  Can anyone
> advise how exactly they find out what chipset a card has in it?
>
> Mac

"Super G", and "Xtreme G" usually indicates an Atheros as they used
Super G as a marketing label for their earlier chipsets and only their
licenced chipsets have the associated technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_G_(wireless_networking)
I haven't come across any cards that have these labels and aren't
Atheros, but there's always a first time.

Intel chipsets are generally straight forward to find as they are only
ever integrated into laptops. Usually with the Centrino platform
sticker. If they advertise 802.11abg, this is also a good indicator.

You can sometimes identify the chipset manufacturer from other labels or
trademarks on the card or box. But this can require that you have access
to it before you buy, not good for Internet shopping.

I recommend that you find a Linux shop to buy from who can guarantee
compatibility. Though you may have to wait for supply or pay extra over
cheaper brands.

Steve