[ubuntu-uk] Remote Repos

Sun Jul 29 18:48:17 BST 2007

> * safe source - people migrating from Windows are continually bombarded
> about the scariness of connecting to the Internet and being attacked within
> seconds of making that connection (common "fact" almost always found in any
> high street magazine talking about Windowss and firewalls / AV etc)

This has been a *real* problem for a long time (well until MS turned the
XP firewall on by default). I tried it a while back, I was given an old
machine, so wiped it and installed a fresh copy of Windows 2000,
installed the latest service pack SP4 which had just come out), and a
port monitoring program and put in on the internet (in the DMZ on the
lan). It was attacked within FOUR MINUTES, and compromised in around 13
via an unpatched vulnerability in IE...

So all those who say it can't/doesn't happen are talking bull...

I may try it again if I get some time over then next few weeks...
Lee