[ubuntu-uk] Two operating systems

Matthew Larsen mat.larsen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 08:39:32 BST 2007

hello

You don't have to do any reinstallations.

pop in your ubuntu-live CD and follow these instructions:

1) load up a terminal in live
2) sudo grub
3) type in: 'find /boot/grub/stage1'
4) type in 'root' followed by the info you got in 3 (ie if you got
returned HD(1,1) type 'root (HD1,1)
5) type in 'setup hd(0,0)

reboot and you should have grub installed. If windows XP doesnt
display use the grub manual which tells you how to put the entry into
the list manually (you have to set the windowsXP boot partition to the
partition with NTLoader on it)

Hope that helps

Regards,

On 27/07/07, Keith Powell <keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk> wrote:
> alan c wrote:
> > Keith Powell wrote:
> >> I was rather scared of doing anything which may adversely affect the XP
> >> drive, such as installing GRUB on it, as I didn't want to go to the
> >> palava of having to reinstall Windows.
> >>
> >> Now, having read your replies, I'm confident of having the two drives
> >> internally and selecting them with GRUB. I'll do it over the week-end.
> >
> > The biggest risk if there is one, with a dual boot install is the
> > possible resize of the ntfs partiton I would guess, so I always
> > suggest scandisk well and defrag at least once if not more, to ensure
> > tidiest hard drive, Also obviously to have a backup in case of
> > unforseen disaster.
> >
> > However, if you use a second hd for ubuntu, there is very little
> > touched on the first drive at all. So (almost) no risk to data.
> >
> > If you do go for a ubuntu reinstall, an easy way would be to leave a
> > large unpartitioned space on the drive (maybe the whole drive,
> > partitions previously deleted), if you want a semi automagical
> > install, anyway.
> >

> Thanks for the additional information, Alan. Much appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith

Matthew G Larsen