[ubuntu-uk] Petition the BBC! - Post your iPlayer response

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 09:50:36 BST 2007

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the BBC iPlayer.

I understand you are annoyed by the possibility that the new on-demand
services will be limited to Microsoft Windows users.

We work hard to provide internet services on a platform agnostic basis
and we're committed to using open standards where possible.

We have always planned to evolve the technical systems continuously
from launch and aim to broaden the availability of the service as
quickly as is reasonably possible.

However, we also have to balance objectives against:

(i) Demands of our rights holders

(ii) Viability of alternative technical solutions

(iii) Value for money to the licence fee payer

The proposed technical approach (described in the application)
represents the initial solution for delivering the proposals as widely
as possible.

At launch we expect to deliver the seven day catch-up over the
internet proposal using a combination of streaming and Microsoft DRM
protected download. Where programming is streamed it will be available
to users of Apple and Linux systems, though the amount of programming
delivered via streaming will be limited.

I hope this goes some way to explain our position on the matter. Your
comments have been fully registered and added to our daily audience
log. This is an internal document that is made available to the web
production teams and senior BBC management.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

BBC Information

Watch Saving Planet Earth from 24th June.

Together we can help save the world's endangered wildlife.

You can donate to the new BBC Wildlife Fund at
www.bbc.co.uk/savingplanetearth, or by calling 08705-100-700

Thank You