[ubuntu-uk] Quick check prior to bug report

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Wed Jul 18 11:49:41 BST 2007

Before I posted a bug I thought I'd do a quick check to see if anyone
had any comments, experiences with this one. It is a minor issue, but
I'm not 100% sure as the fix will be quite as minor.

I have a recently installed Ubuntu 7.04 system and have just managed to
get the wireless networking up and running by swapping a new card in
that is supported by the madwifi driver. Once I had done this there was
a selection of updates available which I duly installed. That's the
background, now the bug.

Before the updates I had modified the default OS to boot from in the
gurb menu.lst to be 4 - I started with 3 but then realised that left me
trying to boot a comment line! I've not considered that a bug though,
just an odd 'feature' ;) This, sadly, is Windows XP, but that is beside
the point.

After the installation I noticed that every time I switched on the
computer it started a memtest run. After an initial thought that
somehow this was triggerd by a boot error I sat and watched and saw that
it was default. After a bit of head scratching it dawned on me that two
new lines had been added for a newly installed kernel, causing my
default option 4 to now be the memtest line.

Now in some ways this should be a bug as it messes up a perfectly usable
boot environment with no warning. That said grub itself has not been
updated by the kernel install (I don't think - I'm assuming that this is
part of the automated grub setup).

As I type this I realise that I should check the grub menu.lst file as
I'm a recent convert from lilo and not sure whether grub has rewritten
the file automatically with the new kernel, or whether it picks it up by
some other means dynamically (probably not if you specify the default
boot by the line). The machine is in Windows at the moment though with
either my wife or son using it for something so I'll have to check
later - or do a completely new install on my current desktop which is
crying out for Linux; well I am anyway :)