[ubuntu-uk] Window XP on Ubuntu

Seif Attar attar.saif at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 13:47:46 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 10:56 +0100, Colin McCarthy wrote:
> On 7/13/07, Skippy <Philip at mcgaw.eu> wrote:
>         http://efficientpc.co.uk/videos/vmware/
>
>         if I was to install windows XP in VMware, what would the
>         processing power
>         hit be like? Would it be possible to run outlook in it,
>         without it becoming
>         painful,
>
>         The reason I want to use outlook is because it is the only way
>         I am aware of
>         that allows me to use my Orange M600 WM5 phone with full
>         syncronsation
>         support. (would VMware do anything silly with the USB)
>
>  I have Ubuntu 7.04 running on a P3 800Mhz, 512 Ram box at
> work for 'playing around with'.  I have VMware and an XP VM running on it, which has 160Mb Ram.
> I installed Outlook and ActiveSync but could not get my Orange C500
> Smartphone to connect to it.  Even with VMware running Ubuntu is still
> responsive.  Next week I'll see if I can work out why the USB is not
> being recongnised in the VM, I ran out of time yesterdy to figure it
> out.

I had my ipad 6915 syncing with a winXP virtual machine under feisty,
deleted the VM so i can't check the details at the moment! but i
remember trying different sync modes (assuming it's a WM5, under
connections in the settings, there's active sync mode) try both, dont
remember which one worked for me. you might need to enable the device
after it's connected from the vmplayer menu.

hope this helps,
Seif Attar