[ubuntu-uk] I want to buy a pc..which one shall i go for?

Matthew Larsen mat.larsen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 16:54:49 BST 2007

> whats wrong with having a generic psu?

Its wrong for the same reasons as getting generic RAM or generic
Motherboards etc.

A poor PSU will not provide enough power which means crashes and your
components will not last as long. Things like the Fan and casing will
be cheap so it rusts and/or gets full of dust easier. There may be a
lot of noise on the output channels which will damage your components.
Stray EM noise _might_ be a problem with a WiFi card.

Another factor worth mentioning is a poor PSU will cause overheating
in your case and components because of poor heat management.

Plenty of reasons to avoid a generic PSU. In fact a decent PSU would
be the *first* thing I look for.

I reccomend coolermaster.

Regards,