[ubuntu-uk] automatic updates easily compromised by a fool.

Matthew Larsen mat.larsen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 19:09:19 BST 2007

The file you need to download from that website is under the "J2SE 5.0
Documentation" heading.

my best guess (if this happened after doing something with OO) is that
as OO uses Java the update program got its wires crossed or something
needs to be installed, but only the installer for what needs to be is
installed and not the actual thing itself (for some reason you need
the java documentation???).

Try that file and see what happens

regards,

On 06/07/07, Philip Edwards <groeswenphil at btopenworld.com> wrote:
> I might be fast approaching the end of my Ubuntu experiment.
> It looks like I'm heading for a second re-install, both events caused by
> the same problem....It appears that the automatic updates system can be
> easily compromised by a fool.
>
> My automatic updates no longer works.
>
> The little orange icon showm that I have updates to install, but when I
> click on it, I get this.
>
> E: dpkg was interrupted.. You must manually run dpkg –configure -a to
> correct the problem.
>
> So I try.
>
> Setting up linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-28-amd64-generic
> (2.6.15.12-28.2) ...
> Setting up sun-java5-doc (1.5.0-06-1) ...
> This package is an installer package, it does not actually contain the
> J2SDK documentation. You will need to go download one of the
> archives:
>
> jdk-1_5_0-doc.zip jdk-1_5_0-doc-ja.zip
>
> (choose the non-update version if this is the first installation).
> Please visit
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.html
>

> and then I get lost or give up because the website above doesn't appear
> to have anything to do with my problem.....or does it.
>

> I suspect that my problem was caused by simply trying to add multimedia
> features to Open Office presentations.

Matthew G Larsen