[ubuntu-uk] Making embedded media work properly

SteVe Cook yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 4 22:40:10 BST 2007

Alec Wright wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 22:19 +0100, SteVe Cook wrote:
>> Why they can't use some sensible format I don't know, as Realplayer is
>> that reliable under windows either.
> I'm guessing by a "sensible format", you mean something like MPEG. If
> that's true, they probably don't because the MPEG licensing authority
> charge for use of MPEG encoding, whereas real (or whatever the company's
> called) and Microsoft probably don't charge, and perhaps even pay BBC
> for the publicity of their formats.
>
> If you meant something even more sensible like ogg vorbis/theora, it
> isn't compatible with windows so that's unlikely to happen. Or they
> could keep windows media and real media for winblows users and give us
> ogg vorbis/theora too. I see a petition starting :) But first let's get
> in touch with them.
I meant something open like ogg or whatever. As they're open there is
nor reason why windows, apple, mobile phones can't use them.
Despite the fact that I don't watch GMTV, I have emailed my thoughts on
the matter to them, I doubt it will do much but it's a start, especially
if others join in.

SteVe