[ubuntu-uk] Making embedded media work properly

Alec Wright alecjw at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 22:25:50 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 22:19 +0100, SteVe Cook wrote:
> Why they can't use some sensible format I don't know, as Realplayer is
> that reliable under windows either.
I'm guessing by a "sensible format", you mean something like MPEG. If
that's true, they probably don't because the MPEG licensing authority
charge for use of MPEG encoding, whereas real (or whatever the company's
called) and Microsoft probably don't charge, and perhaps even pay BBC
for the publicity of their formats.

If you meant something even more sensible like ogg vorbis/theora, it
isn't compatible with windows so that's unlikely to happen. Or they
could keep windows media and real media for winblows users and give us
ogg vorbis/theora too. I see a petition starting :) But first let's get
in touch with them.
Alec Wright