[ubuntu-uk] Making embedded media work properly

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 4 20:14:14 BST 2007

Chris Rowson wrote:
> I have been reading with interest the various threads which have been
> discussing problems with getting embedded media on websites working
> properly.
>
> This IMO is one of the blockers for switching non tech-savvy people to
> Ubuntu. They simply want to click on a realplayer link on the BBC site
> and have it running in their browser straight away.
>
> It seems like there are a couple of other sites with issues too (I
> think GMTV was mentioned) and I wondered if it'd be worth documenting
> sites with issues, and figuring out what changes need to be made to a
> system configuration to sort out the problems.
>
> Anyone interested?
>
> Chris

Hi folks >>> Lke Chris, I've been following this with interest, too.
And I've been experimenting in parallel with Alan.

    I set up realplay a while ago (can't remember how, but do remember
it was a tortuous and frustrating business).  I discover - shadowing
Alan - that the GMTV site streams Real video immediately, with no
trouble at all;  but BBC will only work if I select 'stand alone player'.

    This is very curious.  I'm not sure it's simply a sites issue;  I
wonder if the inconsistent symptoms we observe aren't partly due to our
own particular combinations of conflicts between various players, or the
remnants of various players, that we've installed and uninstalled in our
efforts to get embedded media working - totem, xine, mplayer, realplay,
flash, all sorts of plugins and goodness knows what else, sometimes in
several different versions of the same apps.

    The existence of layers of accumulated HowTos - many of them partly
or completely out of date - adds to the chaos.

    As you say, Chris, this is a recipe for nightmares plus a hasty
retreat to Windows for many non tech-savvy folk trying Ubuntu for the
first time.  (Quicktime is another story - I know:  not Ubuntu's fault;
  but a pain for many previously used to playing an
almost-industry-standard format.)

    So - until the developers get this sorted - if we were able to
provide an authoritative, up-to-date guide to setting up embedded media,
we'd be doing a great service.  (But it might be a seriously big job!)

Mac