[ubuntu-uk] Firefox and BBC video (sigh)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Tue Jul 3 22:58:25 BST 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 22:04 +0100, alan c wrote:
>> ITV and Cannel 4 stuff - in fact most mainstream web page video stuff.
>>

> Channel 4 stuff you absolutely can't use. Same goes for the newer BBC
> iPlayer. They use Microsoft based DRM, which screws us royally.

Understood thanks

However
> the real player stuff is easy to make work.
>
>> Firefox is the important browser here - it is used in windows and
>> Kubuntu, and their friends and family can (and should) be using
>> firefox in windows. So I want to focus on firefox. Normal web
>> browsing. Click on a link and video window should open and play.
>>

> That works here.
>
>> To summarise - I am looking for specifically firefox and (as example)
>> specifically BBC.
>>

> Add the medibuntu repo as per these instructions - this is so you can
> install the necessary codecs.
> http://www.medibuntu.org/repository.php
>
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get remove totem-mozilla
> sudo apt-get install mozilla-mplayer w32codecs
>
> You should then find that opening firefox and going to any of the bbc
> realplayer pages you can click "play in realplayer" and it should work
> in the browser.

Thanks Alan

I have done this. there were some errors indicated, and if actions
were suggested I did them.

Now the bbc video does play in the browser  :-) (mplayer is used it seems)
The video window is not resizable - is this the same as yours?
The video window has a couple of blank (horizontal) bars below it
which look as if something should be in them - is this how it should be?

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391