[ubuntu-uk] Filesystems

Skippy Philip at McGaw.eu
Mon Jul 2 22:45:56 BST 2007

After the much hyped WinFS [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFS] died a
death, my interest in Vista died just as quickly,

As some one who stores in the order of 2.5TB of digital media, I am looking
for a more sensible way of storing the files, WinFS looked like the best
thing since sliced bread (or NTFS) but now with the increase in speed of
networks, and SAMBA being fully functional, I am wondering if there is a
better way than all the files and folders method.

What I am looking for is a way I can mount a large relational data store via
SAMBA and share it to a windows network,

So my questions are as follows-

1. has any one come across a scalable Relational file system that I can use
on Linux (or Windows)
2. can it be shared via samba and be made to look like a native windows
directory

I am aware of products such as Picasa, however I don't want to use a Client
to interface to the data store, however being able to use a NetDrive
[http://www.acs.uwosh.edu/novell/netdrive.htm] interface.