[ubuntu-uk] Vodafone 3G card with T-Mobile uk SIM [Works]

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sun Jul 1 15:30:43 BST 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 17:58 +0100, alan c wrote:
> I am delighted to find that (with Kubuntu 7.04) a Vodafone 3G card
> (pcmcia) with T-Mobile SIM (payg) works easily in my Dell Inspiron
> 1100. (Note 7)
> :-)
> Delighted is an understatement.
>
> I bought the (unlocked) 3g card from ebay (40 uk pounds).
> The T-Mobile pay as you go SIM was a nominal 50 Pence from T-Mobile.
> (note 4)
<snip>

I currently have a contract with T-Mobile and I've added the "web &
walk" package (£7.50 pcm).

This allows you (although I don't think it's official!) to use any
mobile as a modem (and therefore probably a 3G card) via bluetooth/usb
etc and gives 1Gb(!!!) allowance per month.

So far, I've had no issues with any of the following traffic:

SSH
http
https
smtp
pop3
imap
ftp

Alan, can you post this onto the Wiki? It looks like a brilliant write
up!

Cheers,

Matt.