[ubuntu-uk] Green Party vs Vista

Ashley Hooper ash_hooper at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 19:32:08 GMT 2007

--- john levin <john at technolalia.org> wrote:

> As featured on Slashdot, the Greens have issued a (somewhat hyperbolic)
> statement against Vista:
>  Green Party asks: who has the key to your Vista PC?
>   http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2851

On this subject:

"The environmental impact of each new power-hungry, polluting computer is
significant. A recent UN study found that 1.8 tons of raw material are required
to manufacture the average desktop computer and monitor. Roughly 240 kilograms
of fossil fuels, 22 kilograms of chemicals and 1,500 kilograms of water are
used to make a desktop PC and a 17 inch CRT monitor.14 The environmental costs
become alarming when considering how precipitously new PCs are being produced.
Over 1 billion PCs had been produced in the world by the end of year 2002. The
Computer Industry Almanac predicts that cumulative total will double within six
years to over 2 billion by the year 2008.15"

"In 1995, the production of a single six-inch silicon wafer required 3,200
cubic feet of bulk gases, 22 cubic feet of hazardous gases, 2,275 gallons of
deionized water, 20 pounds of chemicals, and 285 kilowatt hours of electrical
power. In the process, 25 pounds of sodium hydroxide, 2,840 gallons of waste
water, and 7 pounds of miscellaneous hazardous wastes were generated.16"

See this article for the whole story, references etc:

http://www.ciber-runa.net/guide/BetterUpgrade--ActivistGuide.html

--
"We do not inherit the earth                http://backtobreath.com/
  from our ancestors;                 ...--    __@