[ubuntu-uk] getting help - UK List

London School of Puppetry lspinfo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 10:52:26 GMT 2007

On 30/01/07, Nicholas Butler <nik at reducedhackers.com> wrote:

> [...]
>

> Value
> I charge £60.00 plus VAT for the work I do, theres a no fix no fee
> policy and I make all clients pay for hardware and software purchases
> upfront. I generally provide a written sales quotation for any work and
> hardware requested and I invoice the work as I go. I use Turbocash to
> run the books and I have a local accountant and tax adviser to manage
> the business and Ive been selfemployed for near on 8 years.I tend to
> find that if I dont charge for my work the clients take more advantage
> and have less respect for the opionions and the work I do. So bear in
> mind that people expect to pay and in reality people expect to pay good
> value for a good service. However I do offer once a week 1 hour of my
> time for free to anyone whom I have handed a Ubuntu CD to. I use this
> time to make sure they can get online and locate all the relevant
> support infrastructure of the community. Some have commented that I have
> an ulterior motive for doing this and my response is yes I do , I want
> more people using open source because it makes my pitch and my value
> easier to define to the next potential client. There is nothing wrong
> with being motivated to earn a living and gain respect for doing so ,
> but thats my motivation.
>

> Recognition
> Now heres the hard part. For some in the community my earning a living
> off of open source whilst not coding for doing documentation is wrong.
> For others though theres a little admiration for making changes to small
> and medium sized businesses in the understanding of what open source can
> do for a company. It is hard work and it is a risk and sometimes your
> just going to be shouted at and other times your going to be praised.  I
> do it because I believe that we must have choice and freedom to choose
> how and where our computers work. We as consumers should be able to move
> as easily between computers and platforms as we do from cars, phones,
> houses and banks and its hard to explain to joe user how this is
> important. I was awarded an Ubuntu membership on the basis of long term
> advocacy of open source and im proud to say that, that, was the honest
> and direct reason for my own involvement. I would encourage and support
> anyone else who was trying to do the same thing through whatever vehicle
> they can use to succefully and positively and respectfully endorse and
> promote open source software.
>

> Conclusion
>
> We should have a basic list of who and where can offer support and how
> as part of what we do in the UK and also as a way of helping to define
> generic support from direct application bugfix support. There is a need
> to increase availability of training in open source applications and we
> need to get more information back upstream to the developers about how
> the applications are being utilised and we need to keep getting things
> done long after the talking has subsided.

Dear Nik, I think  your long email covered all practical issues and also
covered the more sensitive philosophical areas such as charging. The
creative work being done on the design and making of OSS is fantastic. But
there is no doubt that with the spread and use of it amongst the general
public that support has to be available, and this support has to be paid
for. It does not prevent anyone in the 'expert' community deciding to give a
proportion of their charitably. I was interested to read that
one of the forum has installed Linux on 8 friends and family computers and
is also giving them support. I actually think that it is the 'community'
aspect of Linux I finf most appealing! But local villagers find it all very
suspicious as if a group of Travellers was about to invade.

Caroline

--

---
London School of Puppetry