[ubuntu-uk] Remote Desktop

James Tuthill techie at omlet.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 15:29:50 GMT 2007

David Pashley wrote:
> On Jan 29, 2007 at 12:46, James Tuthill praised the llamas by saying:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed Ubuntu on around 8 friends and family machines all
>> round the country. Until now I have never needed to provide remote
>> desktop help but recently I wanted to do this.
>>
>> Is there a program or a way for them to send their ip address and
>> settings required for remote desktop to work via email. This would mean
>> they could just click a button and send me the information and then I
>> would be able to open up a link between. It might sound a bit simplistic
>> but I from googling it, Windows has this functionality.
>>
>> Or is a just a simple way of using remote desktop that I haven't figured
>> out yet,
>> Thanks,
>>

> If you want to see exactly what they are seeing, you can investigate
> VNC. If you just want to be able to run a gui application, you can run
>
> ssh -X user at host
>
> and then start the gui app at the command line.
>
> For this to work you need to make sure that they have the xauth package
> installed and that you have uncommented the line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> that says:
>
> X11Forwarding yes
> X11DisplayOffset 10
>
> and restarted sshd
Hi David,

Thanks, I will a play around with that approach :)

What I am really looking for a gui. With a screen with one text field
and button that says:

Emails Address of helper: james at heisgoingtohelp.com

[button which sends a invitation for remote desktop]

This way they can send me all the details of their host, such as
ipaddress etc. Otherwise, I have to get them to open the terminal and
type in ifconfig command, then read some numbers from a screen they
don't understand, then open up the email client. This is always hard to
explain and makes things over complicated.

Any ideas? or do you think I should suggest it to the gnome / vino people?
Cheerio,

James