[ubuntu-uk] Battle of the Operating Systems

norman norman at littletank.org
Wed Jan 24 21:28:47 GMT 2007

> Hi there, I was talking to friends about Linux (Ubuntu) said it was
> free- then they all look puzzled because they have never paid for
> it ...it comes free with a new computer.....so then what is my answer?
> Caroline

The operating system, presumably Windows, comes free (actually the cost
is built in to the price I believe) but what else comes free. Microsoft
Office does not, Photoshop does not and, apart from bits and pieces
which come with such items as cameras for example, I am hard pressed to
think of what does come free. Don't forget the cost of Virus detectors
and firewalls. There's a start others doubtless will expand.

Norman