[ubuntu-uk] nice article on Amarok - caviat about ubuntu

Scrase, Eddie escrase.uk at Wentworthlabs.com
Fri Jan 19 12:38:04 GMT 2007

As I understand it, ripping is done via the Konquorer's KIO-slave, and
should be totally independent of the sound engine amaroK is using.

Unfortunately I'm run amaroK on Ubuntu 6.10, so I can't verify the problem.

-----Original Message-----
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 08:47:06 +0000
From: Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] nice article on Amarok - caviat about ubuntu
	though
To: British Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 07:28 +0000, alan c wrote:
> I was a bit surprised to see an adverse comment about ubuntu though -
> related to the function for ripping CDs:

My first thought at this point is "restricted formats".

> Anyone know different?
> If it is true, it would be good to get feedback to the appropriate
> team, which I would try to do when I get into using it. Unfortunately
> that is going to be a while yet though, certainly after april.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Amarok

"AmaroK uses either the xine or gstreamer multimedia frameworks as its
sound engine. The RestrictedFormats wiki page has more on how to
configure either framework and how to add support for non-free media
formats such as mp3."

Could that be the problem?

Cheers,
Al.