[ubuntu-uk] IRC security mention in Ubuntu Weekly News 27

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Jan 15 18:04:51 GMT 2007

I  have only used IRC a few times, and have only a vague idea of the
issues around it. I noyice in UWN 27 that
=====
If you are using IRC to connect to any of the Ubuntu IRC channels, the
IRC Operator's Team would like to inform you that to make your
connection secure you should use port 8001 when connecting to any of
the Freenode servers. There has been a recent surge in people
exploiting vulnerable routers of IRC users. Using port 8001 will
prevent you from being disconnected from one of these DCC attacks. It
is also recommended that you download and install the latest firmware
for your router. Do note that all these attacks do is disconnect you
from the IRC server. So to avoid being banned from a channel due to
join and part flooding, fix your settings now.
=====

I presume the port used is fairy easy to examine by each user, however
the comment about router firmware suggests more complications for
users who are not really very technically experienced (I include
myself here).

I trust that this list can keep patience in mind and as ever be
patient with handholding (me) when  time is available to sort out this
issue?
tia
--
alan cocks