[ubuntu-uk] Government report warns about Microsoft lock-in

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 12:41:42 GMT 2007

Hi gord,

(CC'd to ubuntu-marketing for comments/ideas)

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 11:14 +0000, gord wrote:
> Snippet:
> 	"UK schools and colleges that have signed up to Microsoft Corp's
> academic licensing programs face the 'significant potential' of being
> locked in to the company's software, according to an interim review by
> the UK government agency responsible for technology in education.
>
> The British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta)
> report also states that most establishments surveyed do not believe that
> Microsoft's licensing agreements provide value for money, while a
> separate review has recommended against the deployment of Vista and
> Office 2007.
>
> Last week Becta signed a 12-month extension to its Memorandum of
> Understanding with Microsoft that enables schools to negotiate cheaper
> software deals, but many schools will not be taking advantage of it if
> they follow Becta's advice."

> 	"On the subject of promoting alternatives, Becta noted that the UK's
> Open Source Consortium would like to see Becta proactively promoting
> choice by adopting open source standards" and stated that it will
> "discuss with key stakeholders the practical steps it could take to
> facilitate wider competition in choice in relation to software licensing
> in schools."
>
> Earlier this week the OSC's president, Mark Taylor, criticized Becta for
> entering into the extension with Microsoft despite its own research
> indicating cheaper open source alternatives. "We'd like to congratulate
> Becta for getting a discount on their season ticket for the Titanic," he
> said."
>
> http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=BDD20D68-FDBF-4E1C-BA77-BBA4B7CA6061
>

> Does anyone have any idea weather their is something we could do to help
> take advantage of this situation in favour of floss and ubuntu?

Maybe we should write a letter to BECTA and tell them who we are, what
we offer and how we can help British schools. It would be interesting to
discuss their requirements and ways of providing information and support
to schools to help them move towards adopting open source. If Canonical
could get involved too, that would put more weight behind the whole
thing.

In addition, we might like to co-operate with the Open Source
Consortium. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull