[ubuntu-uk] Integrated graphics cards with Ubuntu

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 03:53:31 GMT 2007

Kevin wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 11:17 +0000, Neil Greenwood wrote:
>
>> I'd report this as a bug in Ubuntu 6.10. Include the hardware details
>> and see what happens.
>>

> I don't think it's an Ubuntu problem as I downloaded another distro and
> the same thing happened.
>

>> Have you tried the "safe graphics" option?
>>

> Yes I did, same thing that's why I'm wondering if it's a hardware fault.
>

>> IIRC, integrated Intel graphics cards have an open-source Intel driver
>> available, in other words the open driver supports all functionality
>> on the card!
>>

> So the integrated Intel graphics would be the best option if I can't
> afford a machine with a dedicated card. I may keep this machine for a
> bit longer and get a machine with a decent spec.

I have a PC with an integrated Intel graphics chip (845G) and the
open-source driver is excellent. And you don't have to mess around with
downloading and installing proprietary drivers to enable any functions
of the chip. It has worked extremely well with Ubuntu and other distos I
have tried also.

Tez