[ubuntu-uk] installing real player support in Firefox 2.0/edgy

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Jan 7 23:35:02 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 23:05 +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> But when I try to view video clip on the BBC site, the BBC player pops
> up and tells me I need a realplayer plugin! Any ideas?

Do you have totem-xine, totem-mozilla and w32codecs?

I just opened firefox and looked at the URL about:plugins. It told me
that it has "Helix DNA Plugin: RealPlayer G2 Plug-In Compatible
(compatible; Totem)" which is in filename "libtotem-complex-plugin.so".
I checked to see what packages provide that plugin:-

alan at wopr:~$ apt-file search libtotem-complex-plugin.so
totem-gstreamer: usr/lib/totem/libtotem-complex-plugin.so
totem-mozilla: usr/lib/firefox/plugins/libtotem-complex-plugin.so
totem-mozilla: usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libtotem-complex-plugin.so
totem-xine: usr/lib/totem/libtotem-complex-plugin.so

Then checked which of those I have:-

alan at wopr:~$ dpkg -l totem-* | grep ^ii
ii  totem-mozilla                  2.17.3-0ubuntu2 Totem Mozilla plugin
ii  totem-xine                     2.17.3-0ubuntu2 A simple media player
for the Gnome desktop based on xine

(bear in mind I am runnig feisty so some of those version numbers may
well be higher than in edgy/dapper)

Cheers,
Al.