[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu sophisticated - Open Source leaflet

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Jan 5 20:30:32 GMT 2007

Mr W. F. Vening wrote:
> I would just like to add that being a young person I have recommended
> that many people use Open Office and Firefox, while still using
> Windows. These people have been very pleased with the out comes.
> Although some had issues understanding they had to save in .doc format
> for MS Office to be able to read it.
>
> A major problem is that when charities organize computer type help
> schemes they will probably teach windows because more computers use it
> and so it is therefore more useful.
>
> I think we need some sort of leaflet which can be given to people to
> maybe explain what open source is in simple terms, as well as
> explaining the great advantages.
>
> If we could create a PDF then anyone who wants a leaflet can print it
> off for themselves or to give to others, or if they are really keen
> can go to a local printers!!

The following is basically a similar leaflet I use at local
exhibitions, handouts and talks. Please use it as wished?
It is worded in a popular manner, and I have tried to avoid technical
jargon. It is not intended for cognoscenti use!

Information Leaflet about OPEN SOURCE:
=====================================
Open-source software

"Open Source" software is computer software which has its 'Code' made
public, unlike the usual  proprietary software which is kept secret.
The Open (and very public) code is examined and criticised by anyone
who wants to, and the Internet makes this very easy indeed. The
popular programs become good quality because of this - they have
improvements, constantly. The really good programs survive and develop.

Free
The software is usually free to download, and very low cost to buy.
The authors are often enthusiasts, perhaps enthusiast professionals.
Some Commercial Companies make their full products available as Open
Source. Their advantage is that the enthusiast volunteers and
hobbyists will assist in quality in return for the freedom. Your
advantage is freedom and choice.

A Free Lunch?
No. The software is legally licensed in some way, often as "GPL" -
General Public License. This invites copying, distribution, even sale
or modification, under a simple legal condition: that the Source Code
is made available at cost to any person asking for it. This is
energetically defended in courts Internationally. It means that a
company cannot 'steal' it, it remains Open.

Windows(R), Mac, Linux?
Yes. There are very many programs for Windows(R), Mac, and Linux.
Examples are Firefox (web browser), Thunderbird (Email, news), Open
Office (Office suite), Audacity (Audio file editing).
     A brief introduction can be seen at www.theopencd.org
     Government:   http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/ and
     Teaching:        http://www.opensourceacademy.gov.uk/

In fact Linux is ITSELF Open Source.

Games?
There are some games in Open Source, but because big money cannot
easily be made by giving software away (!) then most games are fully
proprietary.

Shops?
Computers usually come with Windows(R) installed, so shops sell things
for Windows(R), and are reluctant to offer free programs!

Is Open Source better than Windows(R)?
Piece of String. Linux will do what Windows(R) can do for most users,
or more, and Linux is now easier to install than Windows(R). It can be
put onto the same computer and run when you choose, it does NOTget
viruses, is easy to SECURE, gets UPDATED fast, and is FREE. You have a
choice.

Linux Information?
Use the internet, phone a friend, or maybe contact a local Linux User
Group (LUG).

Further information from:
[Local LUG and local contact local volunteer name]

Get Some?
For Windows(R) - a good place to begin is www.theopencd.org, and/or go
to the Home Page of any of the major Open Source programs such as
www.mozilla.com/firefox  and download it.

For Linux, contact with a local group is useful, and maybe look at
http://www.ubuntu.com and note the "Shipit" CDs, or download it
yourself. Kubuntu is the same family but has a closer superficial
appearance to Windows(R).

[local volunteer contact name]

--
alan cocks