[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu sophisticated

London School of Puppetry lspinfo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 11:16:05 GMT 2007

Robin, I am a recent convert? to Ubuntu- which I find great- and I am
useless at this klind of thing. the Help stuff is clear- ish - except for
some terms are hard to understand- But the biggest problem I have is sending
files to colleagues who use Microsoft- and they say they can't open
them.Caroline

On 05/01/07, Robin Menneer <robinmenneer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Toby
> If Ubuntu is to be as successful as has been mooted, the package needs to
> be lubriciously simple so that complete beginners with nil knowledge can
> take advantage of the secondhand machines which are said to abound.  For
> instance I would advocate a starting screen, after loading, of a
> typewriter-only facility with the keyboard control &c keys suitably locked
> sofly,  So the newboy can, unless he uses the one menu which gets him out of
> it, can only use the machine as a typewriter with save, print and new
> facilities.  Then when he has mastered typing (or sooner) he can elect to
> move another stage towards open office etc etc.  Many of the people coming
> into computing are those who have either been bypassed or actively rejected
> computing and are possibly candidates for open-source coupled with cheap
> secondhand machine, but a simple step-by-step initiation is needed.  What is
> simple to you is impossible to most of them.  I envisage a pensioner
> attending a charity meeting being given a machine and being told just to
> take it away and use it.  Comparing its procedures with windows is not
> useful.  Dumbing down ridiculously is what's needed to get ubuntu being
> favoured by the masses.
> Robin
>
> On 1/5/07, Toby Smithe <toby.smithe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 12:29 +0000, Robin Menneer wrote:
> > > Alan
> > > Yes - cash book, address book &c.  I didn't have a cd and had never
> > > made one, nor had the facilities.  I didn't need a cd for suse but I
> > > do not know what Novell have done with it since they took it over.
> > > You fall into the trap of comparing installing ubuntu with windows
> > > instead of the real world whch does exist outside windows.  Yes it
> > > should get better if it's going to be much more widely used.  I want a
> > > package that I can click on on the web, chose the thicky (beginner's)
> > > version and go away and leave it for half an hour, returning to find
> > > the opening page offering help.  Other more expert versions I would
> > > possibly like to delve into later but would be happy ot go again to
> > > the web so as to get the latest version.
> > > Robin
> >
> > Hmm... I'm not quite certain what this means. I'm also unsure as to what
> > you find sophisticated. It always all seemed perfectly clear to me.
> > Could you elaborate some more, please?

> > www.cornishhedges.com.

> > install
> > which