[ubuntu-uk] Donation of Old PCs

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 17:24:29 GMT 2007

Neil
As a new comer to Ubuntu, I find that it is unnecessarily
sophisticated.  What I need is an operating system that will run Open
Office and similar freeware on a simple turn-key basis, and not all
the facilities that I seem to have on my downloaded version of Ubuntu
- which I had to get someone else to install.  I don't mind
non-essentials being on the hard drive, but I don't want to be able to
access it or to suffer if it goes wrong.   I started computing with
Fortran 1 over 30 years ago and had one of the first Commodore Pets,
and have managed to keep away from Windows, moving from DOS to Susi
and Tiger.  Now aged 75 my needs are much more simple and your
attitude to a suitable cut-down desktop based Obuntu would suit me as
well as to newcomers.  Or dress up Bash to be as friendly as DOS was
in some of its versions - it had the merits of simplicity - and leave
out the icon schene.
Robin