[ubuntu-uk] uploading files ftp

Colin Humphrey c.humphrey_00 at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jan 1 12:39:46 GMT 2007

What I meant is that you should chmod the directory you'll be
uploading to beforehand. This needs to be done on the Ubuntu machine,
not via anonymous FTP. You can either use chmod from the terminal or
change the permissions for the directory from the file manager.

Soon figured that out. is this [if not what is] the right way to go about
it?

I appended the following in /etc/vsftpd.conf:

anon_upload_enable=YES        mkdir /var/ftp/upload
                                            chmod 777/var/ftp/upload
-----

But after restarting vsftpd I used the "ls -l" command within ftp but there
was no new directory listing.

-----

After I made the changes above I can no longer connect to the ubuntu ftp
server, I get the following message:

connected to ubuntu01
connection closed by remote host

the only way to re-establish a connection is to re-install the LAMP server.
What could the problem be, is there another way?