[ubuntu-uk] more things worth signing

Adam McMaster adam at moosoft.net
Fri Feb 23 15:28:28 GMT 2007

On 23 Feb 2007, at 14:24, George MacLeod wrote:

> The link is
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/consult/open_consultations/
> ondemand_services.html

Thanks, looks like Jono's link has a hyphen instead of an underscore.

The relevant portion of the Trust's provisional conclusions, for
those who haven't already read it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets/files/pdf/review_report_research/
pvt_iplayer/iplayer_pvt_provisional_conclusions.pdf

> The Microsoft-based DRM strategy for seven-day TV catch-up over the
> internet
>
> The BBC Executive proposes a digital rights management solution
> which would require
> consumers to be using Windows XP (or above) and Windows Media
> Player 10 (or above) to
> be able to access seven-day TV catch-up over the internet. The PVA
> noted that we would
> expect the BBC to adopt a platform-agnostic approach. The MIA also
> identified benefits to a
> platform-agnostic approach.
>
> We propose to require the BBC Executive to adopt a platform-
> agnostic approach to rights
> management within a reasonable timeframe. The MIA notes an
> expectation that the BBC
> Executive plans to develop a Real Player alternative in the near
> future. Our understanding is
> that the BBC Executive aspires to offer an alternative DRM
> framework, which would enable
> Apple and Linux users to access the service, but has yet to
> identify a satisfactory solution. In
> either case, we will expect this to have been addressed within 24
> months.

I'm glad to see they're already aware of the problem, though it would
clearly be better if they chose not to use DRM at all rather than
trying to find a cross-platform solution.

--
Adam McMaster <adam at moosoft.net>