[ubuntu-uk] Awareness-Raising Campaign Idea (was Ubuntu CNR deal)

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Wed Feb 14 10:14:57 GMT 2007

Stephen Morrish wrote:

> On 2/13/07, *Philip Wyett* <philip.wyett at gmail.com
> <mailto:philip.wyett at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/02/07, *James Tait* < james.tait at wyrddreams.org
>     <mailto:james.tait at wyrddreams.org>> wrote:
>
>         Robin Menneer wrote:
>         >  You also need to carefully define your target eg the huge
>         population of
>         >  semi-bored computer-illiterates might be more productive than
>         >  experienced-with-windows men-in-the-street ?
>
>         You may very well be right.  I think especially with people who
>         are not
>         already seasoned/regular computer users and are just deciding to
>         venture
>         in to this brave new world and buy a PC at home for the first
>         time, one
>         very important question they will ask is "What do you use?", shortly
>         followed by "Why?".  I think this type of campaign would be
>         particularly
>         effective for these people.
>
>         That's not to say that I don't think it has a potential audience
>         among
>         the Windows-faithful.  I still believe that Vista is an
>         opportunity for
>         Ubuntu to come to the fore, with people who would normally have said
>         "I'm buying a PC, therefore I'll get/need a copy of Windows" now
>         pausing
>         for a moment to consider the alternatives

Have you seen how absolutely difficult it is to get a PC *without*
windows?
For example, I believe that all of the Dell soho range are now
offering vista. Only.

There is a circular situation of windows is on PCs, people expect
windows, then people require windows because it is a 'standard', it is
a 'standard' because of clever and skillful marketing and certain
business practices, a marketing monopoly. It is simpler for retail
outlets to focus on a single OS particularly if it is a mass market
for whatever reason.

Is everyone familiar with the LXer
'The Pre-Installed Linux Vendor Database'
http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14

It is a very useful focus of information, and also includes 'No
installed OS' suppliers.

I think it is a good approach to try to add to this list, and actively
take interest in the listed vendors.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391