[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu CNR deal

Dean Sas dean at deansas.org
Fri Feb 9 19:10:20 GMT 2007

Philip Wyett wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been reading about the Ubuntu / Linspire CNR deal and I have
> some serious reservations about it.
>
> Will CNR be part of a default desktop installation?

Not according to the FAQ that was released with the press release. We
are to get some "CNR like" features eventually. I imagine this could tie
in to the new totem hook which prompts you to enable multiverse and
install codecs when playing patent encumbered videos, only perhaps
referring you to CNR rather than the legally questionable packages.

> Ubuntu - Linux for human beings and not Linux to confuse the crap out of
> folks
> with more software installation methods than you can shake a stick at. Other
> vendors have it right on this with many other software companies ...
> Here is the way
> you do it - The one way. How can anything be for human beings when you
> can get "I installed this via this and this via that and now I have an
> issue" - It
> will cause so many problems for both users and add a large overhead to the
> developers.

We currently have add/remove programs and synaptic, update-manager has
a similar purpose too...

Dean