[ubuntu-uk] IT Idiots cover introducing Linux.

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Tue Feb 6 21:46:23 GMT 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 21:31:29 +0000
"Robin Menneer" <robinmenneer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm the more confused.  You both seem to say that I can use KDE
> > software on Gnome (ubuntu) if I go  to a lot of trouble (and
> > knowledge that I lack) to make  it work.  Or am I just  not
> > understanding the issues.  What I want, in the ideal situation, is
> > a list of software, as in ADD/REMOVE with a summary of its
> > functions, that I can double-click to load and run properly.
> > Someone in this conversation recommended digikam but when I looked
> > at it it was for KDE.

You can install and use KDE software in gnome without worrying about
the issues about it - the package manager will handle getting the
dependencies and the application will load all the required libraries
itself.

The explanations were to let you know of the possible downsides
to this: the application will look different to the gnome ones and
using it will use a larger amount of memory than the same functionality
in a gnome app. The memory usage isn't likely to be a problem unless
you're normally short of memory.