[ubuntu-uk] gimp

David Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 14:44:59 GMT 2007

Like many others, I enjoy processing digital photos. In the old days I
played in the darkroom, now I like to think that my computer, plus
software, is my digital darkroom. So, what do I want to do? I want to be
able to selectively crop whilst maintaining a fixed aspect, usually
7 x 5 because I print on paper 7in x 5in and I want the print to be
borderless. In addition I want to be able to adjust brightness,
contrast, sharpness, colour casts and to be able to remove or change
bits of the photo to improve the end result. Not a lot is it?

I would like to add that although the gimp is probably the best for
all your needs most of what you want can be achieved in f-spot and
digiKam for sure.  Although digiKam is the kind of defacto photo app
for KDE it will run on ubuntu and has lot of facilites and is quite
easy to use.  How ever the gimp is like photoshop or paintshop pro
it's an industry strength tool that is available to everyone.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know