[ubuntu-uk] IT Idiots cover introducing Linux.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Feb 6 14:01:18 GMT 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 12:46:03PM +0000, Robin Menneer wrote:
> We use all the facilities in iphoto.  I've had a good look at f-spot and,
> >although very friendly, it falls far short of iphoto.  Can I use KDE
> >derived
> >digikam if I am in ubuntu which I see from this site is Gnome based ?

Yes, you can run KDE apps in Ubuntu and GNOME apps in Kubuntu. However:-

* KDE apps don't integrate (look and feel as well as functionality) with GNOME and GNOME apps don't integrate with
KDE
* You will have to download extra packages such as the necessary KDE libraries, and any updates to them also.
* Using KDE and GNOME apps together will have a higher memory footprint as you will have libraries from both in
memory at once.

> >This is something i have heard time and time again for many years. "If I
> >press the wrong button I might break it".
> >Clearly you can break a computer from the command line as you can from
> >within a friendly GUI, but the command line
> >with its obscure incantations can make this somewhat easier to achieve
> >unfortunately, especially if you are just
> >typing commands barked at you by an admin person.
>
> Look, I've been with computers since 1971 and know very well what
> injudicious use of the keyboard can do if in terminal mode.  Most beginners
> are in the same position but haven't been told so.

Not sure if the "Look," was "Listen here sonny", but I was actually agreeing with you.

Cheers,
Al.