[ubuntu-uk] IT Idiots cover introducing Linux.

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Feb 5 15:44:04 GMT 2007

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 08:30:09AM +0000, Nicholas Butler wrote:
> The latest Podcast from the ITIdiots provides a introduction to Linux by
> way of Ubuntu.
>
> http://www.itidiots.com/
> Your thoughts please ?

Ok, first two are negative.

1. They said at the start that they would not add the linux box to their active directory / domain, many reasons given, one
was that it was untrusted, didn't know what it would do. Whilst I agree partly with the sentiment it did make me think -
"What? like you know exactly what all that closed-source software is doing on your AD/domain any more than this open source
software does?". It just struck me as a negative thing to say off the bat.

2. The very very very first demo they show a bunch of people who have never seen Linux is to install a bit of software using
apt-get!? What on earth!? Seriously, if you were showing someone Windows for the first time, would you break out a command
prompt window and start showing them "ipconfig /all" or whatever?

Not had a chance to watch any further, will do later tonight. Maybe it gets better.

Cheers,
Al.