[ubuntu-uk] Could Linux (and Ubuntu) do more to encourage students?

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 3 13:54:14 GMT 2007

Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:

>> There is a Gimp users group - gimp-users at lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
>>
>> I get the impression that, in most respects, Gimp is equivalent to
>> Photoshop. I use Gimp for procesing digital photographs.
>>

> It depends (as with all things) what you do with it. For processing
> digital photographs as you do Photoshop would be overkill and so Gimp
> is perfectly adequate.  For more complex design (e.g. web/print
> design) Gimp is a nightmare.
>
> The Gimp's vector graphics are extremely limited (versus some good mix
> in Photoshop) especially when it comes to shapes. For example, try
> drawing a shaded curved-edged box in the Gimp - as far as I can tell
> it is impossible (although I may be missing some tricks). In Photoshop
> there is a tool.
>
> Photoshop text transformation etc. is much more powerful, including
> writing text along a path (vector stuff again) multiple font's,
> colours, etc. in a text block. To create multi-coloured text in the
> Gimp you literally have to do a letter at a time.
>
> I would love to see a Photoshop equivalent on Linux but unfortunately
> the Gimp isn't it - and doesn't look to be heading in that direction
> over the past 5 years I've been using it.  Maybe Adobe will port?
> ......and cut the price by 99%!
>
> Martin

I agree that the gimp isn't particularly good. However there are loads
of good graphics programs out there.

Inkscape is a vector editor and is a particular fave
Krita is a better program for doing basic bitmap work in my opinion
Digikam does some even more basic stuff for digital photography
Blender is a nightmare ;) but is a fully featured 3d package
Cinepaint is a bitmap package designed by film studios because of the
gimps failings
Tuxpaint is painting for little 'uns

There are many music packages out there but I've not used so can't
recommend any. Cecilia comes to mind, I've used audio editor audacity
and liked.

Caroline (secretlondon)