[ubuntu-uk] jpeg from vcd

norman norman at littletank.org
Mon Dec 31 11:48:23 GMT 2007

< snip >

> A PhotoCD (which some people on here are thinking of) is a Kodak think
> that holds digitised photos normally from analogue file, which some DVD
> players can play.
>
> The confusion is further enhanced because a while back a video editing
> software company came up with a neat idea that photo slideshows could be
> put onto cheap VCDs, to add more functionality to their software. This
> is basically a kludge, as the JPEG photos are actually converted to a
> few seconds off (still) MPEG1 video (there are no JPEGs on the disc)
> with nice fades in between.
>
> More confusion is then added, because a lot of cheap DVD players now
> 'understand' CDs that are packed with JPEGs and display them as slide
> shows... confusing a lot people (but we'll leave my parents out of
> this:)....
>
> A lot of people don't get the difference between all these different
> formats... unsurprisingly...

This is very interesting and I think I understand what you are saying.
Thus, the CD I have is a collection of images that have been transferred
to a CD in a format that plays on a DVD player. However, this does not
help me in finding a process which will enable me to extract the images
in a form I can process. Perhaps, if there is no way to do this with
Ubuntu I must look to Windows.

Norman