[ubuntu-uk] Dual-Core = less not more?

Kris Douglas webbox.uk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 03:15:18 GMT 2007

On 26/12/2007, Ian Pascoe <softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com> wrote:

>  Matt
>
> I'm surprised that a dual processor machine came with only 1 Gb of RAM - I
> thought it was more common these days to ship with 1 Gb of Ram per
> processor.
>
> However, the differences between multi core and multi processor are rather
> ambiguous as depending on the manufacturer they can mean the same thing!
> Generally speaking multi core processors share the same DIN whereas multi
> processors each have their own seperate socket.
>
> But, as long as things work, thats great - just bear in mind what Chris
> says about the fact that unless you are running multiple processes / apps,
> you won't generally see much of a difference in performance in apps, as,
> referring back to a pre Xmas posting, very few apps on Linux are multi
> threading yet.
>
> HTH

Just referring to windows here, you can assign processes specific positions
on CPU's can't you, I think it's actually set as the Affinity, like
cpu0,1,2,3,4 depending on your configuration. Is this not possible with
Ubuntu/ The Linux Kernel?

Just wondering, normally Linux has something ahead of windows when it comes
to this sort of thing..

To put it into practice, say you had a dual CPU 200mhz server, running
Apache and Postgres/ MySQL (whatever you prefer) on the one chip makes it
run slowly... So you can set the affinity of the SQL server to cpu1 only
(the second cpu) and have the Apache server only running on cpu0. This in
theory would allow the apps to have 200mhz of CPU each... I imagine that's
how it works in Win, so what about Linux? Anyone?

      Mail: kris at softdel.net