[ubuntu-uk] Mp3 to Ogg Conversion

Stuart Bird e_tective at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 18 14:24:46 GMT 2007

Hi All

I have a large music collection which is probably 95% mp3 format. I would like to move it all to an open format such as Ogg Vorbis (or any other alternatives that I am unaware of).

So I have a couple of questions:

Are there any tools that will help me achieve this?
Will there be any sound quality reduction as a result of the conversions?

I'm vaguely aware of lossy, lossless issues but not really that clued up on audio formats and any issues that they have with each other. I would therefore appreciate any information before I start.

My collection runs to nearly 160 Gb so starting from scratch would not really be an option unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Stu