[ubuntu-uk] Quad core CPU for Ubuntu, is it worth it?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 23:16:34 GMT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my PC to something a tad quicker.  Now I'm
interested in going to a Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU (2.4GHz quad core).
Thing is, I'm not sure if I would really make use of a quad core CPU
(not to mention my other half wants a PC upgrade too and my budget won't
stretch to a quad core CPU and an upgrade for her PC too).

I don't really play games (although I do use the occasional emulator),
but I do want to start doing things like video encoding (I have a pile
of DV tapes to convert to DVD) on top of my usual tasks (downloading
stuff, running the occasional virtual machine, playing music, browsing
the web).

So, I was wondering if any of you folks on the list are actually running
Ubuntu on a quad core CPU?

If so, does it make a real major difference over a dual core CPU?

Ta,

Rob