[ubuntu-uk] Running apps at startup.

Scrase, Eddie escrase.uk at Wentworthlabs.com
Tue Dec 11 12:31:23 GMT 2007

> I remember when I used Mandriva you were able to
> get apps to 'autorun' by adding the run command to
> a file which was something along the lines of:
>
> /etc/initrd/rc0
>
> I see Ubuntu has similar files so if I wanted to
> have an application run at startup which file should
> I edit and add the command to?

Having just had to do this on my system, I'd like to share what I learnt with those that might not already know.  The steps are:

1. Create your script file.  There is a template file (/etc/init.d/skeleton) that you can use, although (as what I was doing was trivial) I didn't bother using it myself.  All I did was add the line #! /bin/sh to top of the script and checked that parameter $1 was set to be "start".

2. Copy your script to /etc/init.d. and then use the update-rc.d command to install it.  Adding the remove parameter to this command will uninstall your script.