[ubuntu-uk] Internet access for second user

Tom Bamford tom at entrepreneuria.co.uk
Mon Dec 10 07:30:32 GMT 2007

Mac wrote:

>> Tony Travis wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Yes, In principle, but network manager configures the network on a
>>> per-user basis and this requires admin authority. Personally, I use
>>> "WiFi Radar", which is brilliant!
>>>
>> Tony >>> I've been wondering whether to switch to WiFi Radar, but
>> nervous because at least network manager at last got my wifi connected
>> (after much hassle and frustration), and I don't want to make matters
>> worse!  Would it be wise to uninstall n-m first, before installing Wifi
>> Radar, or could I just add Radar and use it without removing n-m first?
>>
>> Mac
>>

> Actually, I use network-manager-gnome for connecting to my wireless LAN;
>   I leave the network-manager settings as 'roving' (Gutsy).  Trying to
> configure network-manager manually has never seemed to work for me.
>
> But I've never really understood the relationship between n-m-g and n-m;
>   so I'm not sure whether switching to WiFi Radar would involve removing
> both n-m and n-m-g, or just n-m-g, or neither.  Any specific advice
> about setting up WiF Radar would be very welcome.
>
> Mac

NetworkManager has a daemon and a client (one for Gnome, one for KDE),
although at the moment I think you need to run the client to get it to
connect to a network, making your network only accessible after you log
in for the first time.

I used to use Wifi-radar in Edgy before NM came installed by default.
It's a nice little app that always worked for me, even with WPA. If I
recall correctly, it runs similarly to NM, with a daemon process and a
client process. Just installing the wifi-radar package should set it up
properly for you. The nice thing about Wifi-radar is that it will
remember your wlan settings and connect at boot time. I'm guessing that
NM will see that you have otherwise configured your wireless device and
leave it alone, but if it should override settings placed by Wifi-radar
you can just remove the network-manager and network-manager-gnome
packages (and log out/in).

Regards,
Tom