[ubuntu-uk] Internet access for second user

Mac Ammonius.Grammaticus at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 9 19:25:40 GMT 2007

Tony Travis wrote:
> Keith Bowerman wrote:
>> I have two large hard drives on this computer with Ubuntu 7.10 on the
>> first and Kubuntu 7.10 on the second.
>>
>> I am the administrator on both and there is a second user, my partner,
>> on each.  When I boot up the machine and log-in in my name, Internet
>> access is normal.  However, if my partner switches on the machine and
>> logs-in in her name, the wireless network does not start and asks for
>> the password.  Firstly my partner does not know the password and I can't
>> see the point of her having to go through such a procedure anyway.
>> Secondly, if we switch user to myself, the problem persists and short of
>> resetting the network configuration the only way I can fix it is by
>> rebooting and logging into my account.
>>
>> This happens on both operating systems and it effectively means that my
>> partner can only use the computer with Internet access when I am at
>> home.
>>
>> Has anyone any idea how to solve this problem for us?
>
> Hello, Keith.
>
> Try making your partner's user an administrator by clicking on:
>
> 	System / Administration / Users and Groups
>
> Select her username from the list of users, then click 'Properties' on
> the right panel and select 'User privileges'. Tick 'Executing system
> administration tasks'. Configuring WiFi is a system administration task.
>
> 	Tony.

But once it's configured on the system, shouldn't it be available to
other users, whether they're admins or not?  (Otherwise, it feels a bit
like everyone having to bring their own router when they want to use the
computer, doesn't it?)

I do have some sympathy with Keith - I had exactly the same problem.  I
asked on the list about it, but didn't get any replies.  So I'm watching
hopefully!

Mac