[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu Geekathon at the Museum of Computing, Swindon

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sun Dec 9 16:28:31 GMT 2007

Dennis Holdroyd wrote:
> Thanks Rob your blog brought many happy hours back in recall with me
> learning to program on a ZX81 and before that a ZX80 with dad
> complaining I was taking over  the TV and messing about!!! he bought me
> an old set for my room pure bliss Den

Hello, Dennis.

You were lucky [Oh, no - not that thread again!]...

Seriously, though, there was once an interesting diversity of PC
hardware that has almost vanished down the Wintel plug-hole.

One of the few criticisms I would level at Ubuntu is for dropping it's
support of the IBM 'Power' architecture. This is not just about running
Ubuntu on Mac's, it's also about running Ubuntu on PS3's, which have an
IBM Power architecture 'Cell' processor. Sony obviously think there is a
market for Linux because they officially support TerraNova's Yellow Dog
Linux on the PS3.

Anyway, the 'community' version of Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) works very well
on my 15" LCD iMac. I'll continue using Ubuntu on it as long as I can!

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687