[ubuntu-uk] for the record

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Dec 7 13:25:46 GMT 2007

Andrew Jenkins wrote:
> norman wrote:
>> Some time ago, my wife had a new computer and insisted that she
>> wanted Windows instead of Ubuntu. Much of her usage was word
>> processing and she found it difficult to get to grips with Open
>> Office (I don't know why) or so she said. 30 minutes ago she said
>> to me "D... it! I am fed up with all these bl...y messages that
>> stop me getting on with my work and, if Ubuntu will stop that
>> happening, then get rid of Windows and replace it." Needless to
>> say, I am busy downloading Ubuntu 7.10.
>>
>> Norman
>>

> Funny creatures wives, mine always moans about Open Office too.
> She uses the MS version happily though.  I said "You had to learn
> to use MS Office, so why can't you just learn something else too?".
> It seems that the are some who will resist change whatever......and
> I married one... :-)

She is presumably also resisting changing her spouse :-)
- it may have some advantages......

more back on topic :-)   Who does the maintenance on her windows machine?

Time was when we used to rely on windows for everything and I had to
reinstall at least a printer driver regularly - in emergency
conditions usually - and I could not rely on things working as
expected, nor could I rest assured that security was good as hoped for
, even though I was diligent with appropriate applications. Ultimately
I had to make a decision that whether we (both) wanted to or not, we
had to move away from windows! A lot of learning for me, but certainly
worth it in all sorts of ways.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391