[ubuntu-uk] IDE -> SATA

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 13:11:35 GMT 2007

norman wrote:
>> You may find you have issues with this if Windows is already on the
>> drive.  As far as I know they do work pretty well (they're a bit like
>> the USB to IDE convertors).  The problem is, Windows will be looking for
>> an IDE drive, and it won't see one, it'll just see SATA drives.
>
> That is useful to know.
>> I thought you had the dual booting working, or is this another machine?
>
> Yes I have dual booting working on my granddaughter's machine, this is
> another one on which Ubuntu is well and truly installed and this seemed
> to me to be the easiest way to dual boot and, at the same time make use
> of an old drive.

Yeah it is fairly easy adding another drive.  I did that when upgrading
to Ubuntu 7.10, I'd bought a new drive so I put this one in and
installed Ubunutu.  I was (actually I think I still are) able to just
either change the bootable hard drive in the BIOS or select on the Grub
boot menu which version to boot.

At least this way, if your Windows drive is attached to SATA port 2 and
you install Windows on it, Windows will look for the Windows partition
on the drive attached to SATA port 2, and it should also install it's
MBR on the drive attached to SATA port 2.  Then it should be a case of
reattaching the Ubuntu drive and altering the grub.conf.

As a rule, I always disconnect the working drive (Ubuntu or whatever)
when doing this just in case I pick the wrong drive and wipe it! (Yep,
I've made that mistake before!)

> That is most helpful, thank you.

No problem.

Rob