[ubuntu-uk] Real Player

davisjo davisjo at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 6 07:08:54 GMT 2007

Morning All,

                 I had similar problems trying to install real player. My only need here in France is to hear the BBC listen again service.

Because of problems with Windows, I did a clean install (wrote zeros to the disc and then started again)

I installed Ubuntu and went to the BBC home page selected a programme and pressed play. A flash came up, you need plugins to play this file- do you wish to install them? I clicked yes and it gave me a choice of Xine or Mozilla. I have tried Xine before and knew that it did not work, so clicked the Mozilla. The plugins installed and now the BBC streams works fine and without the stand alone player bar being utilized.

Now I never bother with Real player, there are so many dead links and redirection to a unix sites and installation problems.

I hope this helps someone,

John