[ubuntu-uk] NFS and NetworkManager

Peter Lewis prlewis at letterboxes.org
Sun Dec 2 18:22:18 GMT 2007

Hi again folks,

On Sunday 02 December 2007 14:55:30 Mac wrote:
> Pete >>> Does your /etc/fstab refer to these shares by their full IP
> address on the LAN or by a share name?  I use the LAN IP addresses, and
> my shares mount automatically when the wireless network is up.  (Tho' I
> use Gnome rather than KDE).  Don't know if the form of the addressing
> matters, but if it's a factor, it may be worth a quick test.

I replied:

On Sunday 02 December 2007 15:21:34 Tony Arnold wrote:
> > Is this a desktop that always connects to the same Wireless Access
> > Point? if so, you could manually configure the wireless (click on the
> > network manager icon and select manual configuration). The wireless
> > connection should come up at boot time then.

I replied:
> Another good suggestion, thanks Tony. I've switched it over to a manual
> configuration (i.e. in /etc/network/interfaces) now, so will do a reboot
> and see what happens...

Well, a combination of both seems to have fixed it.

In summary, I switched the network to manual configuration, meaning that it
got brought up during boot rather than at the behest of the tray icon once
I'd logged in.

I was also suffering I think since I was trying to mount three shares at once,
and the server couldn't reply quick enough so that none of the three would
time out. From what I've read NFS clients time out after a fixed period and
then attempt to try again. I've increased the timout from 1.4 seconds to 3
seconds, and it seems to have done the trick. It took the last share a couple
of minutes to become available, but did so by the time I logged in.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Pete.